Diabetic Eye Exams for Patients in St. Petersburg, FL
Sight360 provides care in St. Petersburg as Opti-Mart, Eye Associates of Pinellas, Pasadena Eye Center, Ryczek Eye Associates, and Pasadena Eye Center.
Diabetes can cause diabetic retinopathy, a condition where the tiny blood vessels in the eye become damaged and leak blood into the retina. This can cause permanent vision loss and lead to complications like diabetic macular edema. Fortunately, early detection through regular diabetic eye exams can help prevent serious damage and vision loss. For patients in the St. Petersburg, Florida, area, Sight360—an integrated vision organization—offers convenient and comprehensive diabetic eye exams at our numerous clinics and offices.
What Does a Diabetic Eye Exam Include?
A diabetic eye exam is similar to a routine eye exam in many ways, but it also includes specific tests that assess the health of your retinas and the blood vessels within your eyes. Your exam may include tests like:
- Pupil dilation – Special eye drops are administered to widen your pupils, which allows your eye doctor to more easily examine structures within your eye, such as your optic nerve, retina and the blood vessels at the back of your eye.
- Fluorescein angiography – Dye is used to highlight damaged blood vessels within the eye, and a special camera takes pictures of any damage so your doctor can assess the progression over time.
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT) – An OCT provides detailed cross-section images of your retinas that allow your eye doctor to identify any changes or damage to your blood vessels.
- Glaucoma test – Your doctor will likely also test you for early signs of glaucoma, as symptoms of this condition typically only show once permanent vision loss has already occurred.
- Vision test – As in a standard eye exam, your diabetic vision exam will include measuring your visual acuity with a Snellen chart or a similar tool.
Schedule an Appointment
For convenient and comprehensive diabetic eye exams in the St. Petersburg area, call us or request an appointment online.
Convenient Locations in Your Neighborhood
We provide optical retail, optometry, ophthalmology and related surgeries across 16 locations in the West Central Florida area. Use the filters below to find a location near you that best meets your needs.
Highly Rated Eye Doctors & Vision Care Specialists
Your sight is your most important sense. You can trust our team of physicians and specialists to care fully for all your vision needs. But don’t take our word for it, read what our patients are saying about their experiences with our level of care.